Trinsic Tales:Ships Ahoy!/Chapter 11

From Dead Pigeons Society
Jump to: navigation, search

Note: This log is still in IRC format, and may be awkward to read as a result.

Chapter Eleven: It's Not Cheating If You Don't Get Caught. By Enemy Guards.

--BEGIN SESSION--

<Capn_Ascii> As we join our heroes, we find Marilyn doing something completely uncharacteristic - asking other people what *they* think! EGADS!

Marilyn frowns at Vathgani. "Well, yes, that was always the plan... the question is do we try going *here* again as we have in the past, or do we switch islands, or should we just wait a while before trying again?"

<Vathgani> "Cover of night might be useful."

<Ashling> "Realistically, they won't be expecting us here again for a while."

Marilyn listens, then makes her concurring decision. "We'll wait here for a couple of hours, then when night has fallen, we shall return and attempt to gain the idol."

<Ashling> "If they're watching the boat, which they most likely are.." she says, scanning the coast, "We may want to send the ship on as a decoy..."

<Marilyn> "Except that leaves us without a way back."

<Marilyn> "It's not as though we can time an expedition and have them back at exactly one time."

Ashling shrugs. "I just thought sending the ship to a different place and have it come back at dawn might be a sufficient distraction."

Marilyn contemplates. "I'd rather not lose a resource for distraction. However, we can... make the longboat invisible for a little while. It'll still leave a wake, though."

<Marilyn> "We're doing it. When night falls, Blue, White, Ashling, Vathgani, and myself shall leave in the boat, which I shall immediately cast Invisibility on. We will go to shore and try to hide the boat, which White shall mind. The rest of us will attempt our mission once again."

Ashling nods

<Capn_Ascii> *ONE NIGHTFALL LATER...*

<Capn_Ascii> It's now dark outside. You might be eaten by a rare swimming species of grue.

Marilyn loads herself into the boat, giving a commanding gesture for her... companions... to join her.

<Capn_Ascii> *ONE BOAT-LOADING LATER...*

<Capn_Ascii> Everybody piles into the boat, which rocks a bit in the water.

<Marilyn> "As soon as we go invisible, cast off and engage," Marilyn orders, pauses a brief moment, then waves her invisibility wand.

<Capn_Ascii> Marilyn: You wave your magic wand. *poof!* Invis'd.

<Capn_Ascii> The boat and its passengers turn transparent. There's still a telltale stirring of the water below, but it's nearly unspotable against the dark water.

<Capn_Ascii> White begins to row as fast as he can back towards the small beach, in hopes of reaching it before the spell wears off.

<Capn_Ascii> He row, row, rows the boat, until the beach is in sight.

<Capn_Ascii> You can see two or three lights on the cliffs above, shining down into the water - more robed figures, using some sort of spotlight lanterns. One of the lights sweeps right across you, but thankfully, you're still invisible.

Marilyn whispers at where she thinks White is "Aim for a spot we can hide the boat."

<Capn_Ascii> White whispers back. "I'm over on this side, ma'am. We can go back to that beach, or we can park at the base of the cliffs and try to climb them."

<Marilyn> "Whichever you think will make the boat harder to spot... we can always backtrack to the beach in walking."

<Capn_Ascii> "Hmm. I have an idea."

<Capn_Ascii> After a bit more rowing, he runs the boat up onto the small beach. There are a few large rocks here; with your help, he drags the boat out of the water and conceals it behind the rocks. As dark as it is here, no one should see it unless they come nosing around down here.

Marilyn nods her approval at White. "Let's move out, team. Quietly. Same place as before."

<Capn_Ascii> Just about the time the boat is hidden, it (and you) pop back into visibility.

Marilyn gets her team into formation and begins the ascent.

<Vathgani> "Might be good idea to send someone ahead in case of watchmen," Vathgani whispers

<Capn_Ascii> The lot of you head up the tunnel-like ramp, pausing near the top.

<Marilyn> "Ashling, could you send one of your... pets... ahead to scout, without them getting caught, and with them being able to communicate to you or me usefully?"

Ashling nods and looks at one of them, pointing ahead.

<Capn_Ascii> The little guy (girl?) hovers in a nod-like manner, and takes off.

<Capn_Ascii> After a while, he (she? It?) returns and, using a complicated series of interpretive dance steps, communicates what it saw to Ashling.

<Capn_Ascii> Most of the robed figures are stationed on the cliff edges, searching the sea below for signs of the rowboat returning. Two of them are patrolling around the large butte with the hidden temple entrance in a counterclockwide manner, while a third stands atop the butte itself.

<Capn_Ascii> The last one is apparantly *supposed* to be on lookout, but according to your little spy friend, he's actually asleep.

Ashling relays all of this to Marilyn.

Marilyn nods slowly. She idly fingers the communication crystal. "I wonder how I could cause a diversion to get that guard away."

<Marilyn> "Or... are they patrolling together? If so, how long does it take them to do one circuit?"

<Ashling> "No, they're doing it in tandem."

<Marilyn> "Damn. Not much chance of sneaking past them then."

<Ashling> "Good chance they won't notice the other missing for a while though."

<Marilyn> "Hmm. True. Think you could get one of them out of the way with a spell somehow?"

<Marilyn> "Okay, let's get on the careful approach to take out the first one, then do it again for the second."

Ashling looks at the coures. "Try and find the entrance."

<Capn_Ascii> They nod, then zoom off again.

<Capn_Ascii> After a while, they zoom back, looking confused. Somehow they managed to end up at some place called "Taco Hut" instead of where they were supposed to go. Hmm.

Ashling sighs. "Try again. this time, go into the butte if you have to and work your way out to find it."

<Capn_Ascii> They nod, then fly away again.

<Capn_Ascii> Several minutes pass, during which time you can hear more robed figures prowling about on the cliffs overhead. Finally, your little friends return.

<Capn_Ascii> They bob excitedly, almost falling over themselves.

<Ashling> "Well?"

<Capn_Ascii> Through a quick game of charades, they explain that they've found the entrance, hidden behind a secret panel on the north side of the butte. Inside is an elevator that leads down to a secret cavern beneath the cliffs - indeed, beneath sea level itself.

<Capn_Ascii> They claim to have found a large room down there, though that's as far as they got.

Ashling relays this to her party.

<Marilyn> "Let's do this. Take the guards out fast, then immediately proceed into the panel before the guards are missed. It's critical we get them in one round, so I am going to invis all of you as we go, and I will try to do it again before the second guard shows up."

<Ashling> "The way I see it we have three options."

<Marilyn> "I'll listen to your alternatives."

<Ashling> "We can do that, or I can try to teleport us to the top of the elevator shaft and hope the elevator is there, or I can hope their distances are correct and try and teleport us to the bottom."

<Marilyn> "I'm not going to chance a miss into the ocean. However, we can try the shaft, if you are confident. But if we miss, it's on you. And we should go invisible either way in case we do miss."

<Ashling> "Dimension door doesn't miss."

<Vathgani> "Vathgani hopes so..."

<Ashling> "but I accept your cautionary measure."

<Marilyn> "Can we get close enough for Dimension Door without getting in guard range? I presumed you were referring to Teleport."

<Ashling> "Dimension door has a shorter range. I'm assuming we'll need teleport to get back out."

<Ashling> "We need to get closer though."

<Marilyn> "Let's go as far as we need to before you can do it," Marilyn comments, carefully and sneakily makes her way forward.

Ashling follows.

Vathgani tags along

<Capn_Ascii> Blue does his best to keep up, as you climb the ramp and set off across the buttes.

<Capn_Ascii> The lot of you sneak your way across the buttes, hiding behind the occasional large rock as you inch closer in the darkness. You can see lights dancing around the area as the goons look for you. One of them is even coming your way, but by now you think you're within range for Ash to teleport you.

<Marilyn> "Energize."

Ashling quickly starts casting the spell. "I'll assume that's a reference to something I don't know about."

<Capn_Ascii> *poit!*

<Capn_Ascii> You find yourselves Somewhere Else.

<Capn_Ascii> Specifically, in a round room about 40 feet wide, presumably the inside of the butte. You can see a door-shaped panel in the north wall, as well as a large stone disk in the center of the room.

Marilyn nods approvingly. "Okay, let's look for a way down," Marilyn looks around for anything interesting... like the method to go down, unless it's just another "stand on it" thing

<Capn_Ascii> It looks just like the elevator from the spire temple. You collectively step onto it, and it clicks and begins to descend into the depths of the island...

Marilyn realizes the above statement, and gets on top of the elevator, gesturing for the others to follow her.

Ashling does

Vathgani continues tagging along

<Capn_Ascii> The elevator descends...

<Capn_Ascii> ...and descends...

<Capn_Ascii> ...and descends some more...

<Capn_Ascii> Eventually, the rock walls of the shaft give way to smooth stone, cold and damp. You can't really tell, but you assume you're now below sea level.

<Marilyn> "No one do anything to cause a cave-in," Marilyn comments unnecessarily.

<Ashling> "No promises." Ashling says looking around.

Marilyn looks around as well

<Capn_Ascii> The platform goes down for what seems like ages, the shaft getting darker and darker as you go. By the time the platform finally stops, you find yourselves in pitch blackness.

<Marilyn> "A little light would be appropriate," Marilyn commands.

Ashling looks at the coures and nods.

<Capn_Ascii> They nod back.

<Capn_Ascii> *tink!*

<Capn_Ascii> ...and blink on like little flying light bulbs.

Marilyn looks around properly thanks to the light sources

<Capn_Ascii> As the lights come on, you find yourselves looking at quite the view. The elevator has settled into a small circular room made of stone, but that's not the important part - that would be the large, arched corridor that leads off in front of you.

Marilyn carefully checks for traps as she approaches, and if clean, enters the corridor.

<Capn_Ascii> Instead of stone, the corridor walls and ceiling are made of some sort of super-strong, yet totally transparent material - beyond them, you can see the ocean itself! The waters are dark and clouded given how deep you are, but you can make out the gentle movement of the water currents, as well as a variety of fish and other sea creatures moving near the windows.

<Capn_Ascii> Marilyn: One nice thing about this a design...there's nowhere to put any traps on the walls without them being plainly visible. Still, you sweep the floor for pressure plates as you go.

<Capn_Ascii> Marilyn: Dum de dum...whoa, now, what's this?

<Capn_Ascii> There's several large pressure plates set into the floor here. Looking around, you can see what look like seams in the transparent wall panels nearby.

Marilyn points out the seams and plates, seemingly nonplussed.

<Capn_Ascii> Ash: You're not sure exactly what these plates are for, but you suddenly get the feeling that it would be a very, very, *very* bad idea to trip even a single one of them...

<Capn_Ascii> --END SESSION--