Geometric Archipelago:The Longest Five-Pointed Night/Chapter 21

From Dead Pigeons Society
Jump to: navigation, search

Note: This log is still in IRC format, and may be awkward to read as a result.

Chapter Twenty-One: The Ominous Mountaintop Battle

<mainstreet> ---BEGIN SESSION---

<Capn_Ascii> "Yikes!"

Capn_Ascii ducks and scrambles toward the woman, trying to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

Capn_Ascii is now known as Ascii

Iethloc tags along, but more calmly

Iethloc is now known as Brellius

<mainstreet> You scramble madly over towards T'Merin, who's still firing shots up into the elemental melee. "Ah, so you're the supposed help here that Majesty sent?"

<Brellius> "Supposedly, yeah."

<Ascii> "Or the closest thing you're going to get to it, yeah."

<Ascii> "So how are you this fine day?"

<mainstreet> "Alright, here's the deal. They got 12 elementals. We got 8; that's all Majesty can bring out at once. Both sides have the ability to summon new elementals only a few minutes after one falls. I'm helping the 8 out, but ultimately, this is a losing battle. It's all I can do to keep the 8 alive and inflict any reasonable damage. You need to find the source of these elementals and neutralize it."

<Ascii> "Gozano?"

<mainstreet> "I sincerely doubt one man can control 12 elementals by himself. There's something more going on here. Something not typical to this world. But yes, find Gozano, and you'll have your source. But don't expect it to just be a straight fight. We sorcerers don't fight fair."

<Ascii> "Neither do we. The logical assumption is that he would be at the peak..."

<mainstreet> "Quite likely. Problem is..." she points up the path... and you see the 'problem' she's indicating. Try to go up the winding path, and you'll be right into the elementals' crossfire fairly quickly. They're battling across the path.

<Ascii> "We should be able to teleport past them. Any intel on what lies beyond?"

<mainstreet> "Unfortunately no. Be prepared for anything. The enemy elementals have been blocking attempts to get past -- I have occasionally tried to Summon Monster for a scout, but they get shot down before they can get back."

Ascii looks up the mountain, looking for a good, level spot to 'port to that's as high as they can see up the mountain and hopefully not in the elementals' line of sight.

<mainstreet> Ascii: Mount Unity seems to be a consistently steep mountain most of the way... but you do see a flat spot about 2/3rds of the way up. It seems to be just past the elementals fallback range.

Ascii then looks around for any nearby cover close to the elementals.

<mainstreet> Ascii: Cover? There's no cover here! This mountain is barren, dude.

<Ascii> "So much for that idea."

Ascii turns to T'Merin. "Okay, we're going for it. Try to keep your elementals drawing their attention."

<mainstreet> "They aren't mine, they're the Queen's, I'm just firing shots to stop them from dying so fast."

<Ascii> "Okay fine, whatever. Then keep shooting like crazy."

<mainstreet> "Stop telling me how to do my job, I'll refrain from telling you how to do yours," T'Merin replies coolly.

Ascii grins. "Okay then, *don't* shoot. Let your side lose. I bet the queen will like that." Not waiting to hear a reply, he gathers the others near him. "We're 'porting up to that ledge up there. STAY QUIET once we land and don't do anything to draw the elementals' attention, got it?"

<Brellius> "Aw, if I have to..."

<mainstreet> T'Merin sniffs haughtily at you as you walk away.

Kanzel invisibly grabs capn's arm.

Ashling does the same

Brellius visibly holds onto Ascii

<mainstreet> You're all holding onto each other.

Ashling digs out her shield.

<Ascii> "Can somebody invis us before we go?"

Ashling quickly casts invisible at the pair of them, before refreshing it on herself to hide her shield

Kanzel refreshes hers as well

<Ascii> "Okay, here we go. 3...2...1..."

<Ascii> *whop*

<mainstreet> *PHOW* You blink back into existence on La Mesa. You look around and notice a path down the mountain and a path up the mountain. The path up seems to be a narrow path in between two higher cliffs of land.

<mainstreet> Two elementals spotted you going invisible down the cliff, and sound off a bellow.

<mainstreet> The elementals start looking around carefully, but as long as you're invisible, you shouldn't have a problem.

<Ascii> "Okay, now quietly, this way."

<Ascii> "Lead the way, Kanzel. And watch for traps."

Kanzel does so

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You find the Earthquake trap about halfway up the path. You also find the secret switch to deactivate the trap so you can pass without problem.

Kanzel deactivates said trap and keeps sneaking up the path.

Ashling pushes the others along after her.

Ascii does his best to sneak while wearing full plate mail.

Brellius tags along invisibly and hopefully silently

<mainstreet> You eventually reach the top of the mountain. The mountain is volcanic; you know this because it the summit is in fact a crater. Professor Gozano is standing on a spire in the middle of the crater, calmly watching the battle below (the spire being obviously artificial and tall enough to see out of the crater from. You see two other individuals walking amongst four objects you can't easily make out at the spire's base. You

<mainstreet> notice green jagged bolts of energy, two a piece, lancing out from each of these objects, into a point on the crater's wall.

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You see none of this, however, being granted with a moment of blindness.

<mainstreet> Ascii: Hmmm, it looks like those bolts aren't just going to the wall... there is a person at the end of each bolt, or at least a vaguely humanoid shape. The bolts seem to be trapping them in place.

<Ascii> "Mr. Spo--er, Ash. Analysis." He points at the strange, enerjy-emitting objects.

Ashling looks at them

<mainstreet> Ashling: You can't tell anything from this far away, they're not big enough for detail. You expect you'll need to be able to see what they are more clearly before you can make any attempt at determining much of anything.

<Ashling> "Can't see from here."

<Ascii> "Then I guess we're going down." Ascii steps back, then *quietly* removes his armor, piece by piece, and sets it down. "We'll stay silent as long as we can, but be ready to rumble if we get spotted."

Ascii begins leading the others down the side of the crater.

Brellius carefully tags along with his armor still on

<mainstreet> *CLANKCLANKCLANKCLANK* Brellius's armor is loud enough to get heard. Fortunately, the rest of your group is so quiet... while the two individuals hear it, and start suspiciously looking around, they're unable to pinpoint the noise!

Ascii whispers. "Stay here, Brell. We'll go on ahead."

<Brellius> "I'll keep an ear out in case a fight breaks out."

<mainstreet> You make it close to the enemy, sans Brellius, and can now see the items. You walk around a bit... each one is one a raised platform, but... you see a 1-foot diameter fragile bowl, a container for coal burning, some tiny golden object that seems to have vaguely religious significance, and a curiously shaped polished rock -- one item per platform. Each of these items has two bolts shooting out from it -- actually, it might

<mainstreet> be into it, now that you're looking more closely.

Ashling looks even closer.

<mainstreet> Ashling: Oooh, ooh, you get it! You recognize the Bowl of Commanding Water Elementals right off, and you're pretty sure that stone there is a Stone of Commanding Earth Elementals. That must mean that the other two are a Censer of Commanding Air Elementals and a Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals!

<Ascii> "Okay, so. What're these weird energy beams, then?" He turns to look at the people being zapped by them...or perhaps *emitting* them?

<mainstreet> Ascii: You're a bit far from any of those people at the moment. They were close to the crater edge.

<Ascii> "Grah. Kanzel, go check out those...people? I can barely tell from here."

Kanzel sneaks closer.

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You head over to the crater wall again to check on the people at the wall.

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You reach the area, and examine the person. Human, female, early 20s, wearing green robes, trapped against the wall by this green beam, completely helpless (unconscious as well) -- you look carefully, and it looks as though her life energy might be being drained by this beam. How it's doing that is not immediately apparent.

Kanzel sneaks back.

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You make it back to Ascii and Ashling, or at least, where they are if they haven't moved -- lucky for you, they haven't.

<Ascii> "So, wizards, eh? Anyone we know?"

Ascii takes a look at the two people who were seemingly watching over the beams.

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You realize that all eight of the people trapped are wearing green, in fact the same shade of green that the two people watching the artifacts are wearing.

<mainstreet> Suddenly, one of the beams turns yellow!

<mainstreet> One of the men says a word not fit to print then quickly dashes over to the bowl of commanding water elementals, and starts poking and prodding at it.

<mainstreet> You notice he starts to add more water to the bowl

Ascii whispers. "Kanzel, quick, stabify that guy while he's distracted. We can take them both out, then maybe worry about their buddies here." He glances at the ones pinned. "I get the feeling this may be some sort of ritual sacrifice thing..."

<mainstreet> He also starts speaking softly.

Kanzel quickly runs over and attacks.

<mainstreet> Kanzel EXPLODES into attack, slicing him into a thousand bloody pieces that go flying all over the field! The other robed guy and Ashling manage to avoid the flying debris. Barely. Ascii, however, gets a faceful of the bloody guts, revealing his location as there's a blob of guts in seeming midair.

Kanzel vanishes behind the fountain of blood

<mainstreet> "Well, well, well, you got past my Earthquake trap. I was so sure that would work. But it's not like I don't have a backup plan," Nathan calls down from the top of the spire. "It's a shame such powerful lives are about to end."

<mainstreet> Nathan pulls out a crystal ball. "For instance... I see you're using Invisibility tricks. Sadly for you, I can use this wonderful item here, and see you just fine."

<mainstreet> "Hahaha. You can't even dress properly. This should be interesting."

<mainstreet> "Jimmy, get out of here until Plan B activates!" Nathan orders.

<mainstreet> The remaining goon, Jimmy, starts to turn and head in the other direction.

Ashling holds her sheld up, and it floats in the air.

<Ascii> "Meh, fine. It was a boring conversation anyway."

Ascii raises his arms. "Armor up!" His armor materializes around him and snaps into place.

Brellius starts marching his way over. "I leave you guys alone for one moment..."

Ascii, thinking quickly, mumbles under his breath, casting a spell. Just in case. ((Moment Of Prescience))

Ashling runs over to Kanzel while casting a spell.

Ashling grabs Kanzel as the spell completes, Teleporting the both of them to the top of the Spire.

<mainstreet> Ashling and Kanzel appear on the top of the spire with Nathan. There's not really enough room for three, so it looks like some hard fought physical battle is imminent!

Brellius continues his march towards trouble

Kanzel nods at Ashling "Thank you." before returning her gaze to Gozano. She turns even more invisible, disappearing completely from both spellcaster's sights. She then attacks Gozano from this realm.

<mainstreet> Nathan takes the blade attack, and falls to the ground, barely alive. "So that's how it's going to be, is it..."

<mainstreet> ---END SESSION---