Geometric Archipelago:The Longest Five-Pointed Night/Chapter 06

From Dead Pigeons Society
Jump to: navigation, search

Note: This log is still in IRC format, and may be awkward to read as a result.

Chapter Six: The Obligatory Sewer Level

<mainstreet> ---BEGIN SESSION---

<mainstreet> We have 4 humanoids and a velociraptor, on a jungle path, discussing the whys and whats of Time, Space, and Society. Or was it Life, the Universe, and Everything? Eh, something like that.

Ascii looks thoughtful. "So, let's see. I can kill you, or I can let you go to either rat on us, or get killed anyway."

<mainstreet> "Rat on you? Why would I do that?"

<Ascii> "Uh." He blinks. "...because we're a bunch of raptor-beating badasses in your territory?"

<mainstreet> "Oh, you mean, admit to every raptor in the City that I found something not even reptilian that I couldn't kill? Yeah, that'll keep me alive long."

<mainstreet> "Well... I'm not sure I see a way to get out of this alive. I'm a dead Raptor."

Ascii frowns. "And your buddies who ran off have probably reported us by now anyway. If you show up after they saw us catch you..."

<mainstreet> "I highly doubt they'll admit to having seen anything. Two-legs? What two-legs? We found nothing. Certainly not anything we couldn't handle."

Ascii thinks about this, then grins. "Heh heh."

<Ascii> "Okay, fine. You don't say anything, we don't say anything, and nodody gets slaughtered."

<mainstreet> "Oh, just because you beat a hunting party doesn't mean you'll have a chance against the full City. But feel free to get yourselves killed."

<Ascii> "We'll think about it."

<Ascii> "But I'm just not sure getting killed is right for us."

<mainstreet> The raptor just looks at you, not giving a verbal response.

<Ascii> "Heh. Yeah, okay, that fell kind of flat."

Ascii lets go of her. "Take off, then."

<mainstreet> The raptor stares. "Seriously? Wow. How has your species survived, as... weak... as you seem to be," she quickly runs off in the direction of the City.

Ascii crosses his arms and sighs. "Mostly by making raptor-claw-proof armor."

<mainstreet> There are now 4 humanoids standing in a jungle path.

<Brellius> "Claw-proof armor certainly does come in handy."

<Ascii> "I've always thought so."

Ascii resumes leading the quartet down the path. "Although I'm not sure how much good it will do against a while city of these things..."

Brellius tags along. "Well, there's always diplomacy."

<Ascii> "I can only hope."

<Ascii> "Although if they're willing to conquer a human city for their own selfish needs, that doesn't inspire much confidence in negotiation potential."

<mainstreet> Ascii: You continue walking along the path. Eventually you notice the path starts to climb rapidly. You take a look up... it looks like you have a mesa, with the City at the top of this thing. The walls seem to match the Mesa exactly; looks like it lets Raptors get better drop height if they need to defend the city. The walls are the traditional greenery patterns that you've seen a couple of times before now. You see Raptors ringing the city, two at the gate on this path, and one every hundred feet or so. The foilage is obscuring you for now, but any closer and you'll be spotted.

<Ascii> "Okay, so." Ascii turns to the others. "How do we deal with this?"

<mainstreet> Ascii: You get the idea to circle around the mesa looking for an opening... near the back, you see a small opening in the corner with a vine grate, a small stream... it looks like you've found... the Velociraptor equivalent of... the SEWER.

Ascii facepalms so hard, the raptor guards almost hear it.

<mainstreet> (Yes, it's big enough for a party of humanoid adventurers to go through... barely.)

<Ascii> "Welp." He sighs, and turns to the others. "Guess where we're going."

<Brellius> "I don't think I want to..."

<Ascii> "Probably not." He takes a look at the grating.

<mainstreet> Ascii: Funnily enough, vines don't really make for an imposing defense. Seems fairly easy to cut.

Ascii glances at the very blunt mace in his hand. "Curses!"

<Ascii> "Can one of you get this?"

<Ascii> Sensing reluctance, he sighs. "Okay, fine." He borrows one of Kanzel's blades and slices open the 'grate' before climbing inside.

<mainstreet> Ascii manages to hack through, opening the "grate" for the Party to get through.

<Ascii> "Okay, let's move. And try not to breathe."

Ascii leads the way, hoping that nothing comes down the pipe at him, enemy or otherwise.

Brellius tags along reluctantly.

<mainstreet> Ascii: You crawl through the pipe... and keep going... until the pipe branches off into four separate pipes. However, only the middle two are actually passable by your bulk.

Ascii examines them. "So, which way do we go?"

<Brellius> "I'd rather not take either path, but we may as well go...left."

<Ascii> "Left it is."

Ascii goes...right! Nah, just kidding, he goes left.

<mainstreet> You take The Left Path. A few trails spiral off, but they're all impassible... you follow the main path until... you find the a slant path going up, and more vines fairly immediately. Hmm, looks like an exit.

Ascii takes a look.

<mainstreet> Ascii: Hmmm... it seems to be opening into a sort of low ditch. There's what appears to be a wall off to the left, and an open space area up and to the right.

<mainstreet> The ditch seems to be large enough to hide in, if you crouch and don't make noise, unless someone happens to look directly in there.

<Ascii> "Hmm. Kanzel, go scout this out. And be quiet about it."

<Ascii> "And, uh, cut that grate while you're at it."

Kanzel turns invisible again and drops down into the ditch, peeking beyond the vines

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You see a ditch, and an area of what looks to be regular ground. You can't tell anything else from this side of the vine.

Kanzel sneaks through and looks around

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You cut the vines, go through into the ditch, and see... a fascinating sight. You see that this area is not, in fact, open, except to the sky -- but there *are* four walls, and the ditch is almost-a-ring... a single exit is on the same wall as your sewer exit. You notice that there are eight large mounds in a ring inside your ring (but open at the door's end), with a central steppe-like-structure. The steppe is currently abandoned, but all of the mounds are guarded by a single Velociraptor... these Raptors look much bigger and more powerful than the raptors you've seen before.

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You notice that three of the mounds have eggs on/in them, and another two seem to also have a few very small raptors.

Kanzel comes back and relays the scene.

<Ascii> "Sounds like the nesting area. That steppe might be where their boss sits."

Ashling directs her familiars to cast tongues on the party like she should have done before we got anywhere near the city to begin with.

<Ascii> "Okay, I speak Raptor again. Although, it occurs to me that jumping up into their children's room might not be the best way to begin negotiations..."

<Ascii> "Let's take a peek this way before we try anything." He leads the others back down the main tunnel.

<mainstreet> Ascii: You keep going, until... this passage breaks off into three branches, all impassable.

<Ascii> "Hookay..."

<Ascii> Trying to keep track of everything in his head, Ascii heads back to the start and takes the right-hand fork.

<mainstreet> Ascii: You go a ways and then find another exit, similar to the first. You'll need to open the grate to see what's going on here.

Ascii borrows Kanzel's knife again and slices it open, then looks through it.

<Kanzel> "Keep it. I've got more."

<mainstreet> Ascii: Hmm, you seem to have found a sort of maintenance shed. Various farm implements (curiously, made of wood) line the wall, and there's a doorway leading outside -- no actual door though.

<Ascii> "Huh. I didn't know raptors even knew *how* to farm."

Ascii tries to peek out through the door.

<mainstreet> Ascii: The door apparently opens out onto the main street. You see raptors walking around, "living life", as it were... sort of. They don't see very talkative, and everyone is looking at each other suspiciously... you also notice that the streets themselves seem to be guarded... you spot a couple of raptors doing nothing but watching people. Seems they haven't quite figured out how to engage in secret surveillance just yet.

<mainstreet> You notice a handful of assorted buildings, as well as the very large one that's obviously the room you spotted earlier, heavily guarded with 4 raptors.

Ascii heads back into the pipe and further along.

<mainstreet> You find the line start to become impassable, but just before it does, you find another exit.

Ascii investigates, etc.

<mainstreet> Ascii: You open the grate, look through, and see... a room with carved writing on all sides. You see two doors exiting the room, as well as a handful of what appear to be storage lockers. Hmmm.

<mainstreet> Ascii: You realize this is a sort of magical repository. If there's any information on how this time travel is actually being accomplished, this might be your best bet.

<Ascii> Ascii fistpumps. "Yes! Jackpot!"

Ascii is about to step out into the room, but then thinks better of it. "Hmm. Actually, Kanzel, maybe you'd better check for traps first. Especially magical ones..."

Kanzel looks around.

<mainstreet> Kanzel: You think the doorways are trapped, but they neglected to trap the sewer.

<mainstreet> In other words, you're clear, as long as you don't try to leave this room.

<Kanzel> "Just the doors. we should be fine."

<Ascii> "That's a relief. In that case, I reiterate: jackpot!" He hops out to properly poke around the room.

<mainstreet> ---END SESSION---